YOUR LIBRARY REIMAGINED
Sanibel Public Library: 60 Years of Serving the Community
Since 1955 Sanibelites worked toward having a public library. Locals volunteered their time and raised funds to create a library on the island. Volunteers have been a mainstay throughout its history, and are an integral part today. The first official meeting was on...
Display Space for Art Exhibits at Sanibel Public Library
West side: (near main entrance) computer area, corner - two white walls, blue bulletin space below self check outNear magazines/newspapers: seven columns of wall spaceEast side (near DVDs, audiobooks and Nonfiction) three areas along east outerwall (white walls)...
Your Library Reimagined – Before and After, scroll down for more photos
Planning for "Your Library Reimagined" renovation project started more than three years ago, when the Library Board and staff analyzed obsolete infrastructure. The renovation overhauled Sanibel Public Library's 25-year-old HVAC, plumbing, fire suppression,...
Your Library Reimagined – Ribbon Cutting Celebration
Sanibel Public Library celebrated the successful completion of the “reimagined” renovation project on Thursday, March 21.Planning for "Your Library Reimagined" renovation project started more than three years ago, when the Library Board and...
Finishing East Side, Library Open For “Season” Hours
Renovation will continue in parts of the building, while the Library is open, operating on normal hours. The entrance on the west side of the building will continue to be the main entry as work continues on the east side. Computers are being...
Reimagining East Side, Library Open For “Season” Hours
Renovation will continue in parts of the building, while the Library is open, operating on normal hours. The entrance on the west side of the building will continue to be the only entry as work continues on the east side. Support beams are being...
The Sanibel Public Library serves as a community anchor that encourages discovery, enrichment, and lifelong learning. The Library began with a group of volunteers in the 1960s and is currently in its third home, at 770 Dunlop Road, opened in 1994. In 2004 the building was expanded to its current size. Both the beauty and the quality of the structure are outstanding, but it is time to replace much of the infrastructure. HVAC, fire suppression, plumbing, lighting, technology, and flooring are being upgraded for greater efficiency; sustainable design features are included with the upgraded infrastructure.
As we take care of the infrastructure, we are also looking at the use of the building, and how that use has changed over the past several years and how it will change in the future. Your Library Board of Commissioners is responding to these ever-changing needs while maintaining what is good about the last 50 years of Library service on Sanibel Island, with a focus on fresh, new, dynamic services and programs.
Reconfiguring of the interior includes a user-centered service design with flexible, multi-purpose spaces for reading and research, collaboration, multiple technology access points, children’s storytime space, and more. We are positioning the Sanibel Public Library for the next decade of exemplary, innovative, and responsive library service. The project has been in planning since early 2015. Your Library Board has set a budget of $5.9 million. The cost for this project will be covered by library reserves, grants, and gifts.
- Flex space for programs and technology
- Reconfigured large Meeting Room that subdivides into two smaller meeting rooms
- New Bookdrop – drive up, bike up, walk up
- New Adult Reading Room with Added Seating
- New Children’s Room with a Large Window Seat
- New Interactive Early Literacy Area to Promote Reading Skills
- New TeenSpace
- New Technology Mini Lab
- New Accessible Public Restrooms
- Expanded Porch to read a book or meet friends
- New Book Displays
- More Comfortable Seating and Study Tables
- Think Tank for Technology Collaboration
- New Small Study Rooms for tutoring, webinars, and video chatting
- Archives Room with Digitization Station
Sustainable Design Features
- Design & Specifications of efficient HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical Systems to exceed minimum standards resulting in lower energy consumption and utility costs
- Replacement of all Mechanical Systems to improve comfort & energy efficiency
- Replacement of Light Fixtures with energy-efficient models
- Increased Natural Light with added Day-lighting Controls
- Water-efficient landscape
- Use of recycled materials in new furniture and finishes
- Water use reduction with Low-Flow Plumbing Fixtures
- Innovative Design allows for open floor plans and minimal use of fixed walls allows for flexibility and operational efficiency