YOUR LIBRARY REIMAGINED
Renovation work continues including: new, larger windows to maximize the natural light and stunning views have been installed; two computer labs; meeting rooms; and a flexible "Think Tank" Maker Space are being finished. The SPL will have mobile...
Sanibel's award-winning public library earned another accolade - TripAdvisor's Hall of Fame, for achieving its Certificate of Excellence for five consecutive years. The Library has won the Certificate of Excellence every year since 2014. In...
Much of the current renovation work is behind the scenes—electrical and data cables, support beams, plumbing, and other infrastructure. Workers installed overhead ground wires for protection from electrical surges during lightning storms. Larger...
During this phase of Sanibel Public Library’s “Your Library Reimagined” project, the Library is open for normal 'season' hours. Popular services are available—like computers and printers available for patron use, a “New” book section, high speed...
During the current phase of Sanibel Public Library's “Your Library Reimagined” project, the Library is open for normal operating hours. Look for the interim “main” entrance and outdoor book drop on the west side of the Library. Popular services...
As Sanibel Public Library enters Phase II of “Your Library Reimagined” project, the facility is open for normal operating hours. Look for the interim “main” entrance on the west side of the Library. Phase II includes popular and vital...
The Sanibel Public Library serves as a community anchor that encourages discovery, enrichment, and lifelong learning. The Library began with a group of volunteers in the 1960s and is currently in its third home, at 770 Dunlop Road, opened in 1994. In 2004 the building was expanded to its current size. Both the beauty and the quality of the structure are outstanding, but it is time to replace much of the infrastructure. HVAC, fire suppression, plumbing, lighting, technology, and flooring are being upgraded for greater efficiency; sustainable design features are included with the upgraded infrastructure.
As we take care of the infrastructure, we are also looking at the use of the building, and how that use has changed over the past several years and how it will change in the future. Your Library Board of Commissioners is responding to these ever-changing needs while maintaining what is good about the last 50 years of Library service on Sanibel Island, with a focus on fresh, new, dynamic services and programs.
Reconfiguring of the interior includes a user-centered service design with flexible, multi-purpose spaces for reading and research, collaboration, multiple technology access points, children’s storytime space, and more. We are positioning the Sanibel Public Library for the next decade of exemplary, innovative, and responsive library service. The project has been in planning since early 2015. Your Library Board has set a budget of $5.9 million. The cost for this project will be covered by library reserves, grants, and gifts.
- Flex space for programs and technology
- Reconfigured large Meeting Room that subdivides into two smaller meeting rooms
- New Bookdrop – drive up, bike up, walk up
- New Adult Reading Room with Added Seating
- New Children’s Room with a Large Window Seat
- New Interactive Early Literacy Area to Promote Reading Skills
- New TeenSpace
- New Technology Mini Lab
- New Accessible Public Restrooms
- Expanded Porch to read a book or meet friends
- New Book Displays
- More Comfortable Seating and Study Tables
- Think Tank for Technology Collaboration
- New Small Study Rooms for tutoring, webinars, and video chatting
- Archives Room with Digitization Station
Sustainable Design Features
- Design & Specifications of efficient HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical Systems to exceed minimum standards resulting in lower energy consumption and utility costs
- Replacement of all Mechanical Systems to improve comfort & energy efficiency
- Replacement of Light Fixtures with energy-efficient models
- Increased Natural Light with added Day-lighting Controls
- Water-efficient landscape
- Use of recycled materials in new furniture and finishes
- Water use reduction with Low-Flow Plumbing Fixtures
- Innovative Design allows for open floor plans and minimal use of fixed walls allows for flexibility and operational efficiency