YOUR LIBRARY REIMAGINED
Areas formerly used for Tech and periodicals, as well as the parking garage are closed to the public. New plumbing, AC ductwork, and other utilities are being installed. The other part of the Library is open - providing space to read, find books, DVDs, and magazines...
July 13 Update: Areas formerly used for Tech, Periodicals, and Meeting Rooms 1-3 are under construction. The other part of the Library is open to the public - providing space to read, do research, find books, DVDs, and magazines to borrow. Bookdrop is located outside...
June 26 Update: Areas formerly used for Tech, Periodicals, and Calusa Meeting Room are being prepped for remodel. The other part of the Library is open to the public - providing space to read, materials to borrow, Children's programs and...
June 9 Update: Book Drop is temporarily located inside the main lobby. The parking garage is closed to traffic. New DVDs and books are located near the Circ Desk.
Staff and movers rearrange the Library for the first phase of Your Library Reimagined project. The Library was closed for a few days while workers prepared the building for the...
Staff Prepares for Reimagined. Sanibel Public Library has embarked on the first phase of the “Your Library Reimagined” project.During the week of May 29 through June 2 the building will be closed to the public while the interior of the building is being prepared for...
The Sanibel Public Library serves as a community anchor that encourages discovery, enrichment, and lifelong learning. The Library began with a group of volunteers in the 1960s and is currently in its third home, at 770 Dunlop Road, opened in 1994. In 2004 the building was expanded to its current size. Both the beauty and the quality of the structure are outstanding, but it is time to replace much of the infrastructure. HVAC, fire suppression, plumbing, lighting, technology, and flooring are being upgraded for greater efficiency; sustainable design features are included with the upgraded infrastructure.
As we take care of the infrastructure, we are also looking at the use of the building, and how that use has changed over the past several years and how it will change in the future. Your Library Board of Commissioners is responding to these ever-changing needs while maintaining what is good about the last 50 years of Library service on Sanibel Island, with a focus on fresh, new, dynamic services and programs.
Reconfiguring of the interior includes a user-centered service design with flexible, multi-purpose spaces for reading and research, collaboration, multiple technology access points, children’s storytime space, and more. We are positioning the Sanibel Public Library for the next decade of exemplary, innovative, and responsive library service. The project has been in planning since early 2015. Your Library Board has set a budget of $5.9 million. The cost for this project will be covered by library reserves, grants, and gifts.
- Flex space for programs and technology
- Reconfigured large Meeting Room that subdivides into two smaller meeting rooms
- New Bookdrop – drive up, bike up, walk up
- New Adult Reading Room with Added Seating
- New Children’s Room with a Large Window Seat
- New Interactive Early Literacy Area to Promote Reading Skills
- New TeenSpace
- New Technology Mini Lab
- New Accessible Public Restrooms
- Expanded Porch to read a book or meet friends
- New Book Displays
- More Comfortable Seating and Study Tables
- Think Tank for Technology Collaboration
- New Small Study Rooms for tutoring, webinars, and video chatting
- Archives Room with Digitization Station
Sustainable Design Features
- Design & Specifications of efficient HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical Systems to exceed minimum standards resulting in lower energy consumption and utility costs
- Replacement of all Mechanical Systems to improve comfort & energy efficiency
- Replacement of Light Fixtures with energy-efficient models
- Increased Natural Light with added Day-lighting Controls
- Water-efficient landscape
- Use of recycled materials in new furniture and finishes
- Water use reduction with Low-Flow Plumbing Fixtures
- Innovative Design allows for open floor plans and minimal use of fixed walls allows for flexibility and operational efficiency